Everything you need to know about applying for a Concentration in Psychoanalytic Psychology
The Seattle School’s Master of Arts in Counseling Psychology with a Concentration in Psychoanalytic Psychology prepares students to become a therapist with experiential learning in this field of study. The purpose of the application process is to help us get a sense of your psycho-socio-emotional capacity for intensive engagement with painful, traumatic events and empathic hearing and listening and to discern how this specialization aligns with your clinical formation and vocational calling.
Application ProcessProspective MACP Students
In order to be considered for this program, please complete your full graduate degree application along with the additional essay prompt below by April 14, 2021.
Step 1: Complete the Online Application
Begin your application by completing the online application form for graduate admission. Visit the Graduate Admissions page for full details on the application process.
Step 2: Gather Supporting Documents
In addition to all required supporting documents for graduate admission, please respond to the following four questions or “thought experiments.” Please limit your answers to 50-100 words per question. Your answers need to be typed and double-spaced.
- What authors in the British Tradition are you drawn to and in what ways or topics within these authors has stimulated your curiosity (i.e. Klein, Bion, Meltzer, Winnicott, Bick, Tustin, etc.)?
- What concepts/models are you interested in deepening your understanding (i.e. distinctions between projective identification in each of the authors and therefore, which type of unconscious structure needs which types of therapeutic interventions, etc)?
- Emotionally, in what ways are you moved by this Tradition (i.e. Can make emotional contact with complex suffering, traumas that are pre-verbal; am able to think my own thoughts, etc)?
- Infant Observation is one aspect of training. Please view this clip and describe your experiences and thoughts about this 11 month old. Consider questions like: 3rd person account— what can be seen, sensed, experienced by anyone who was present. 1st person account— the feelings and meanings evoked by the experience.
Once complete, please ensure that your name is in the header of the document, save it as a .pdf file with the title “Last Name, First Name—Essay—CPP,” and submit by email to email@example.com.
Step 3: Application Review and Enrollment
The Admissions Review Committee will review your application for the MA in Counseling Psychology with a Concentration in Psychoanalytic Psychology. Please note that it is possible to be accepted into the MACP but denied entrance into the Concentration in Psychoanalytic Psychology, or placed on a waitlist for future enrollment.
Pending admission into the Concentration in Psychoanalytic Psychology, your Admissions Counselor will provide you with a subsequent enrollment form. You must enroll within the given deadline in order to secure your seat in the cohort.
In order to apply for the Concentration in Psychoanalytic Psychology, you must meet the following requirements:
- Be currently enrolled in the MA in Counseling Psychology program
- Be currently registered for CSL 551 Listening Lab: Part I or CSL 552 Listening Lab: Part II
Current students must request an application through the registrar in order to add the Concentration in Psychoanalytic Psychology to their MA in Counseling Psychology degree.
We are committed to diversity in every sphere of faith and life. We receive applications without discrimination on the basis of race, ethnicity, religion, gender, age, national origin, disability, marital status, sexual identity, sexual orientation, military status, or denomination.